Monday, December 2, 2013

Holiday Rebound

I had a fantastic Thanksgiving! Lot's of cooking and spending time with good friends that I hadn't seen for a long time. Spent one day riding bikes on the Ventura / Ojai trail. It was a beautiful warm day in the mid 70's. The trail is about 40 miles round trip and so it is a work out! It was great to spend a day outside winding our way through such beautiful scenery.

I spent all of Thanksgiving day cooking, sipping sherry and talking. For me it was the perfect day. Our meal consisted of Turkey, fresh herb stuffing, mashed potatoes, cranberry orange sauce,  baked yam & apple casserole with a citrus sherry glaze and peas.  Everything was made from scratch and was delicious! We were so full and tired after the meal that we decided to forego the dessert.

 
 
I had a recipe for a pumpkin soufflé that sounded like the perfect finish to a Thanksgiving meal. It was a new recipe for me and we ended up making and eating it Friday night instead of for Thanksgiving. The soufflé calls for a bourbon sauce to drizzle over it just before eating. I thought about serving the soufflé without the sauce to cut back on calories, but the recipe reviews insisted that the dessert needed the sauce so I went ahead and made some. I will definitely be making this dessert again! It was the lightest most satisfying dessert I've ever had. The reviews were correct about the sauce. The bourbon paired perfectly with the pumpkin and the light drizzle of sauce totally made the dessert.
 
 
 
My friends significant other loves pot pie and mentioned making one from the Thanksgiving left overs. I thought it was a great idea and so yesterday morning I got together all the left over peas, carrots, onions, celery, potatoes, turkey, gravy and made a pot pie. I used puff pastry for a top crust only, (no bottom crust). The puff pastry puffs up from the steam and creates a fantastic crust that is light, crunchy and flavorful.
 
 
 
This morning was the first time I've weighed myself in 3 days and I weighed in at 148. Yikes! Guess I have some catching up to do... It was totally worth it to have a great holiday with my friends and will work to get back on track this week.





1 comment:

mountain lady said...

Sounds like all you wished for in a wonderful holiday.....yes, get right back on the "weight-loss" bike and the temporary gain will disappear!