Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Happy Anniversary

It's been exactly one month today since I first set out on my weight loss journey. As of today, I've lost a total of 14 lbs. and more importantly, I've managed to develop much healthier eating patterns. Things like I no longer buy a bag of chips when stopping for gas. I've quit eating fast food entirely. I used to stop at McDonalds for a quick cheeseburger or chicken sandwich occasionally. I've cut back on the portions I eat. I actually stop eating when I feel full and not when my plate is cleaned. I've developed some routines, like drinking a glass of sparkling ice water with Emergen-C in the morning with a light breakfast. I never used to eat breakfast at all.



I try not to get too hung up on counting calories. I basically know what is going to be too much and try to avoid that. I try to have already prepared healthy food easily accessible so when I need a quick snack to curb my hunger, I can have something healthy instead of a bunch of empty calories. Basically, I try not to buy into fads and quick weight loss products. Ultimately, it's the day to day effort that is going to matter. I've learned to not live by the scale because my weight fluctuates dramatically. As long as I keep at it... that's what is really important. To not give up when I experience a set back and to stay the course.

So today on my one month anniversary, I can honestly say that I am proud that I have been able to stick with it. I think about why this is. Why didn't I give up early on like I did so many times before? I have to say that this blog has been very instrumental in holding me accountable. It keeps me focused and gives me a format to talk about the journey. If I go 4 days without losing any weight, I know that I need to get back with the program. If I'm having a set back, I can gain inspiration from reading some of my past posts. All my favorite light calorie recipes are ending up in one location!

My favorite quote is, "All things come about through effort". Anything can be achieved if you match the amount of energy /effort to the task. I think of how many distractions there are in the world we live in and how we allow ourselves to be distracted in order to not have to address the issues at hand. I think we tend to over-think things too much. We look for reasons to justify our short comings instead of addressing them head on.

So here's to staying the course! My knees are thanking me. My heart is thanking me... and most of all I am grateful for finding the power within myself to continue to make the effort.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

You've had a great first month - big congratulations for making the changes necessary for a healthy life! Nice going. :)