Sunday, December 22, 2013

Letting Life Happen...


With all the baking, eating out and general festivities, it’s been easy to stray from my dieting mindset and weighing myself this morning I’m up 4 lbs. I’m OK with that but don’t want to get over 4 lbs. so today will be a “get back on track” day for me. I find that dieting is more successful for me if I allow my body to adjust to periods of weight loss occasionally instead of continuous losing. It lets my body level off, get adjusted and re-group. It may be more for my mind than my body. I feel great when I’m on a roll with losing weight but I need that period of leveling off every 10 – 15 lbs. or so to gear up for the next big push. That’s just what works for me. I will gain a few lbs. back during the level off period and that’s just part of the deal. The important thing is to not get back into poor eating habits! There is a difference between leveling off from dieting and leveling off from poor eating habits. If I’m eating chips at night I’m in trouble. If I’m eating a lovely pot roast dinner with mashed potatoes I’m allowing myself to enjoy a wonderful meal. I don’t need to stuff myself, but it’s OK to go ahead and enjoy a nice “non-diet” meal occasionally especially during a holiday.
 
 

I have a great Christmas dinner planned for this year. My family is all in the Midwest and East Coast so it’s just going to be my son and myself. I bought a couple of really beautiful swordfish steaks to marinade and grill. The asparagus in the stores looks great so I think some grilled with tomatoes would make for a nice side dish. For dessert I want to make something simple and light yet spectacular. Maybe a chocolate soufflé with fresh raspberries. My son loves bourbon so would be nice to have some good bourbon on hand for after our meal.

It’s important for me to lose weight but it’s also important to acknowledge good times with friends / family in a spirit of togetherness for the Holidays. There will be plenty of opportunities for me to stick to a more regimented diet after Christmas but for now it’s important to let the good times roll...

No comments: