Lemon Pickled Vegetables
These pickled vegetables are a staple of my diet.
Can use any combination of vegetables and spices
for a clean, healthy and fat burning accompaniment to any meal.
8 oz. fresh french cut green beans
1 large carrot peeled and cut into pieces
1 large cucumber peeled and seeded and cut into ¼” slices
1C. small cherry tomatoes cut in half
1 tsp. honey
½ tsp. red pepper flakes
1/8 C. seasoned rice vinegar
1/8 C. Trader Joes Muscat Champagne Vinegar, (or can use all seasoned rice vinegar)
¼ C. chopped fresh Italian flat leaf parsley
Coarse ground sea salt
• Par boil the beans in ½ C. water for about 3-4 minutes, (until bright green color but still crisp). Transfer immediately to a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Drain off water, put in a large bowl and set aside until needed.
• Peel and cut carrot into small sections using pencil sharpening technique and add to beans.
• Peel the cucumber, cut in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Cut cucumber into ¼” slices and add to above vegetables.
• In a separate bowl combine the honey and vinegar.
Grate the lemon skin over vinegar mixture. Cut lemon in half, squeeze out juice and add all to the vinegar mixture.
• Add vinegar mixture to vegetables, toss lightly and sprinkle with salt and chopped parsley to taste.
* Can also add grated ginger or sliced jalapeno peppers for spicier versions.
* PLEASE NOTE - The green beans turn brown when they come in contact with the acid from the lemons and the vinegar so if you're not going to eat it within an hour, then add the beans only when ready to eat.