Saturday, December 28, 2013

Holiday Hangover

I'm so over eating rich foods and looking forward to getting back into the eating light mode. I woke up this morning and cleaned out my refrigerator of all the rich festive foods left over from Christmas. I placed them all in a box on the lower refrigerator shelf for my son to eat. Things like left over chocolate soufflé, blue cheese, stuffed olives, artichoke dip...



I found some beets, carrots and a butternut squash in the produce drawer that needed to be used. Roasted vegetables...Yum! Just the thing to get me back into the healthy eating mode. I love having roasted anything around. Roasting intensifies the flavors and the charred roasted areas add an element of crispiness that tastes so good!

For the beets and carrots, once they are finished roasting, I toss them with some balsamic vinegar, salt, rosemary and fresh cut parsley. Sometimes I will add cherry tomatoes cut in half. The freshness of the tomatoes pairs well with the roasted vegetables. The butternut squash gets cut into smaller pieces when cooled and I like it just sprinkled with some salt and pepper as a side. Sometimes I make it into soup.

Anyway you serve them up, they are fantastic to have around! Served cold or heated up, they are filling, nutritious and great tasting... what more can you ask for?

 
I also found quite a few grapefruits that were a  little past their prime for eating so I juiced them. I bought a rather expensive juicer two years ago but frankly it was cumbersome, hard to clean and I found that I liked the carrot juice I bought from Trader Joes more than the stuff I juiced myself. It was a real hassle to use and the results were not what I wanted so I sold it and bought a cheap squeeze juicer that I love! The fresh squeezed grapefruit juice is so refreshing.
 


Out with the old and in with the new. Looking forward to a new revitalized 2014!

No comments: