I use available ingredients around my kitchen when cooking and rarely make the exact same recipe twice. I used the bone broth because of its high protein content. Can also add protein powder to the soup when blending. Sometimes I have fresh fennel, (which would be great in this soup!), and so I utilize what I have available and just adjust ingredients to make it work.
1– 1500g box of “Pomi” brand chopped tomatoes. (available at Trader Joes)
1– 32oz. box of Swanson organic free range chicken broth
1 - 16.2oz. box of “Kettle & Fire” brand chicken bone broth. (can substitute with chicken broth).
1 – yellow onion chopped
1 – bay leaf
3 – cloves garlic crushed and chopped
1T. olive oil
¼ C. chopped flat leaf parsley
¼ C. chopped fresh basil leaves
2T. “Better Than Bullion” brand roasted chicken base
¼ tsp. celery seeds / to taste
1 tsp. finely chopped celery leaves / to taste (can substitute with dried tarragon)
Tobacco sauce to taste
½ tsp. “Pimente D’Ville” brand ground pepper flakes. (can replace with 1/4tsp. cayenne or ½ tsp paprika)
½ tsp. oregano
½ tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
1 heaping T. of Trader Joes brand “red pepper with eggplant & garlic spread”
· Empty box of tomatoes, bone broth and most of the chicken stock into a soup pot. Add 1T. of chicken bouillon, bay leaf and heat on low.
· Sauté chopped onion in olive oil and butter till transparent. Add garlic, celery seeds, oregano, and Old Bay Seasoning, ground red pepper flakes, and a little bit of the chicken bouillon and sauté for one minute more. Add rest of chicken stock to keep hydrated and heat for one minute more.
· Add onion mixture to the soup pot and stir.
· Add parsley, basil and season to taste with tobacco sauce. Cook for 10-15 minutes until all flavors are incorporated.
· Remove ¼ or so of the soup and reserve in a separate bowl while you blend the rest of the soup with an inversion bender.
· Add reserved soup back in and heat to serve.