Saturday, January 25, 2014

Setting Goals

Up until now I have not set any goals for my weight loss. I've been more concerned with just changing my eating habits and getting into a mind set where I am more conscious of what and when I eat. This is all good except that I have not lost any weight this entire month so far and in fact have gained a few pounds. I think it's about time for me to set some attainable goals!
 
 
I realize that in addition to the mind-set, a big part of weight loss is setting goals. Goals are important because they help you focus your time and energy on the areas that count. Without them, you are just sort of floating around aimlessly with no clear direction.

 
I've been reading a lot about SMART goal setting. To set myself up to succeed, my goals should be:
 
Specific – Detail the goal. Break into smaller steps. Can be long or short term goal.
Measurable – Be accountable by selecting ways to determine if you have reached the goal you set.
Achievable – Stay motivated by keeping your goals within reach.
Realistic- Keep your goals grounded in reality.
Time Bound – Regular reviews on your progress will aid in keeping you focus.
 
So lets get started today and set some weight loss goals for the week...
  • I want to weigh in at 140 by next Saturday. That's a loss of 4 lbs., (that's right... I gained 4 lbs. this week!) That will put me back on track with where I was a week ago. I'll make sure that I eat something nutritious for breakfast every morning, (which I have really been lagging in. I tend to run out the door and not eat until lunch time). I'll make sure to have healthy food prepared and readily available for the week so I can easily adhere to a more regular eating program.
  • For the long term I want to lose 10 lbs. each month. That's 2.5 lbs. a week. That put's me at my desired weight of 155 in 10 months.
  • The best motivation for me is thru updating this blog. It really does hold me accountable and provides me with a format to regularly review and measure my progress.
  • At some point I need to incorporate an exercise program. I'm still pondering what this will encompass... more on that later.
  • Staying motivated. That will be a good point for my next blog...
So really the point is to stay on track with a plan and a goal in mind. Got it!
 
 


No comments: