I've been reading a lot about SMART goal setting. To set myself up to succeed, my goals should be:
Specific – Detail the goal. Break into smaller steps. Can be long or short term goal.
Measurable – Be accountable by selecting ways to determine if you have reached the goal you set.
Achievable – Stay motivated by keeping your goals within reach.
Realistic- Keep your goals grounded in reality.
Time Bound – Regular reviews on your progress will aid in keeping you focus.
So lets get started today and set some weight loss goals for the week...
- I want to weigh in at 140 by next Saturday. That's a loss of 4 lbs., (that's right... I gained 4 lbs. this week!) That will put me back on track with where I was a week ago. I'll make sure that I eat something nutritious for breakfast every morning, (which I have really been lagging in. I tend to run out the door and not eat until lunch time). I'll make sure to have healthy food prepared and readily available for the week so I can easily adhere to a more regular eating program.
- For the long term I want to lose 10 lbs. each month. That's 2.5 lbs. a week. That put's me at my desired weight of 155 in 10 months.
- The best motivation for me is thru updating this blog. It really does hold me accountable and provides me with a format to regularly review and measure my progress.
- At some point I need to incorporate an exercise program. I'm still pondering what this will encompass... more on that later.
- Staying motivated. That will be a good point for my next blog...
So really the point is to stay on track with a plan and a goal in mind. Got it!