Thursday, January 16, 2014

Fat

I've been making a conscious effort to include good fat's in my diet lately. I used to think that a low fat diet was the way to go but honestly I feel so much better and satisfied if I eat foods with healthy fat contents. I feel so much fuller with more energy.



Fact: The obesity rates for Americans have doubled in the last 20 years, coinciding with the low-fat revolution. Cutting calories is the key to weight loss, and since fats are filling, they can help curb overeating.

Fact: A “fat-free” label doesn’t mean you can eat all you want without consequences to your waistline. Many fat-free foods are high in sugar, refined carbohydrates, and calories.

Fact: The mix of fats that you eat, rather than the total amount in your diet, is what matters most when it comes to your cholesterol and health. The key is to eat more good fats and less bad fats.
Saturated fats and trans fats are bad for you but monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats are good for you, lowering cholesterol and reducing your risk of heart disease.

I lived briefly on a 50 acre avocado ranch in the Central Valley and had unlimited free avocados available year round. I used to make a lot of avocados stuffed with things like chicken salad or shrimp or sometimes with sliced tomatoes and strawberries that had been marinated in balsamic vinegar. Really it doesn't take much... a perfectly ripe avocado with anything is hard to beat. The chicken lime soup recipe from Budget Bytes is fantastic with sliced avocados added on top! Avocados are packed with anti-inflammatory benefits that aid in fighting arthritis. They are high in fat but the fat is good fat that has unlimited benefits.

The other fat I'm eating comes from nuts. I love almonds and pistachios! They are a quick snack to have around and particularly good to keep in the car for when you need something to curb your appetite while driving.

Other foods with healthy fats are bananas, eggs, olive oil, and grilled salmon. I love eating two poached eggs on toast for breakfast. It's really light and satisfying. Grilled salmon with asparagus, baby red potatoes and lots of lemons is also one of my favorite meals. Also, a sliced banana with yogurt, chopped peanuts and a drizzle of orange blossom honey is like eating dessert for me.

So really my focus has been to incorporate more healthy fats into my daily diet and not stress about the increase of calories they may add.






No comments: