Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Good Eats


Todays recipe comes from Erika Kerekes of the popular food blog, In Erika's Kitchen. Erika writes a fabulous food blog from her home in Santa Monica. I follow her and find her recipes and style of writing to be fun, engaging and inspiring.

 
I make a lot of quiche. My son loves it and eats it like he eats pizza. I buy packages of pre-made, deep dish crust frozen pie shells to keep on hand in the freezer for the quiches. They taste good and the time saving element of using the frozen shells is huge!
 
Most of the calories of a quiche are in the crust and I have often thought of developing a crustless quiche in order to cut down on the calories. I actually made one awhile back from an internet recipe that looked great, but the overall taste and texture was just not there for me. It was too much like eating thick scrambled eggs with vegetables. No one liked it and I ended up throwing most of it out. I've been reluctant to try it again and put it on the back burner... until now.
 
I was thrilled to see Erika's recent post for a crustless quiche recipe! This is the perfect recipe to kick off the New Year.  Adding the Bisquick to the custard as a binder is genius. This quiche is fabulous and has all the flavors and texture of one with crust only without all the calories. It's creamy, cheesy and packed with protein and vitamin rich nutrients. Can be eaten hot or cold, (just like pizza).
 
Thank you Erika for posting this fantastic recipe that is destined to be a new favorite!
 
Wishing all a Happy New Year and healthy eating in year 2014!


1 comment:

Erika Kerekes said...

Thanks so much for sharing my crustless quiche recipe with your readers, Libbety! Glad you and your family liked it. Mine too.